To Be Like Jesus - Humility
Songs say he is King of kings, and Lord of lords. He is God¡¦s own Son. He is called Immanuel, meaning God is with us. (Isaiah 7:14)
In the book of Hebrews, I learn that he is the radiance of the Father¡¦s glory and God¡¦s exact character.
He is the light of the world. Whoever follows him will never be in darkness. (John 8:17)
I know that everyone who calls on his name will be saved. (Romans 10:13)
He also says of himself ¡§I am gentle and humble in heart.¡¨ (Matthew 11:29)
Is it possible to be like Jesus? Doing a little self-examination, I¡¦m aware I fall short in so many areas. I¡¦m not always the best representative of the Christian faith.
So I¡¦ll study who Jesus was while in the physical body. The study for today is humility.
- ¡§I am nothing.¡¨
- He said, ¡§I can do nothing on my own, only what I see the Father do. (John 5:19)
Do I remember to ask for his assistance in everything I do, everyday life as well as ministry?
- When he judged, it was as God told him. (John 5:30)
I can be judgmental.
- People mocked him, hated him, but the approval of others meant nothing to Jesus. (John 5:41)
I can¡¦t deny that approval of others is important to me.
- He came down from heaven, but not to do his own will. (John 6:38)
Most days, what I do is for myself.
- His message was not his own, it came from God. (John 7:16)
All too often my words escape before I check with God.
- Jesus was not here on his own, he was sent. (John 7:28 & 8:42)
God has planned and ordered my life. Do I act like it?
- He did only what the Father taught. (John 8:28)
As much as I study the bible, I can¡¦t say my actions always reflect it.
- He didn¡¦t seek glory for himself. (John 8:50)
Not the case with me.
- His words were not his own but the Father¡¦s, who lived in him. (John 14:10)
Jesus Christ lives in me. (Galatians 2:20)
I see that I have some praying to do.
I fall short, but he isn¡¦t done with me yet. I thank God for his promise that ¡§He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion.¡¨ (Philippians 1:6)
Visit me at LynneChapman.com
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lynne Chapman for details.